Join Our Team
Position SummaryApply Ivy, a growing educational consulting company, is seeking a Consultant to join our team. Apply Ivy has been providing expert guidance and counselling for our clients with college and boarding school placements for over 12 years. The individual in this position will make substantive contributions to our collaborative and experienced team of admissions professionals who have successfully provided counselling and academic advising to our students. If you are a self-starter looking for a rewarding position with a thriving company, this job is for you!
Principal ResponsibilityThe Educational Consultant is an educator responsible for guiding a diverse group of students (and their parents) in Years 7-13 (Grades 6-12) as they plan for and apply to colleges and/or boarding schools.
- Meet with students and parents to guide them through all steps of the planning and application process, and to answer their questions
- Guide and monitor students through their course selection
- Guide students to select extracurricular activities and summer programs that enrich to their interests and strengthen their college applications
- Provide support, ideas and direction in helping students get the most out of their activities
- Teach students how to best market themselves to schools by working together to develop and maintain their activity résumé
- Help students create a list of appropriate schools to research, visit, and apply to, and direct them to resources to learn about those schools
- Work closely with each student to brainstorm application essay ideas, and then review/critique each essay draft
- Prepare students for effective school visits and interviews
- Work with students and parents to create an application timeline, including a thoughtful determination about early decision
- Proactively track students’ progress, notifying them and/or parents when they’re falling behind
- Provide encouragement to keep students positive and help reduce their stress
- Assist in research projects
- Write admission-related blogs for our website
- Lead and/or support our workshops and seminars for students and parents
- Work out of our office to meet personally with students and work from your home answering emails, Skyping with students and parents, etc.
- Genuinely enjoy working with adolescents, and adept at developing good rapport
- Outstanding communication skills: articulate, patient, clear, willing to explain details multiple times, able to ensure student follow-through
- A flexible personal schedule to meet with students in the late afternoons, evenings, and on weekends when students are not at school (most interactions will be in person at our office; some interactions will be via Skype or similar technology)
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) that will allow, among other things, for keeping student and college files organized and providing quick response to emails the same day they are received
- Detail oriented with superb organizational, record-keeping, and time management skills
- Exceptional writing and editing skills within what is often a time-constrained schedule
- Collaborative problem-solver and creative thinker with a solid work ethic
- Fluency in the English language both written and verbal is required; ability to communicate in Mandarin and/or Cantonese is a plus
- Previous experience with the US admissions process is required
- BA/BS required
You’ll know you have the competencies we’re looking for if you…
- …have patience and empathy.
- …enjoy a self-directed work style and have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- …love daily interactions in a teamwork culture.
- …recognize the differences among our students’ educational and emotional needs.
- …understand the nature of continuous improvement in an accredited organizational setting.
- …successfully manage stress with your consistently positive attitude.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position, please email your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.